The unions' "Build a Better Future" campaign office, at 60 Monaro Street, Queanbeyan, is up and running. The campaign focuses on the following six points:
- Workers' Rights – protect wages and conditions including penalty rates, and campaign for secure jobs;
- Defend Medicare – no new fees to visit the doctor, and proper funding for hospitals;
- Highest Quality Education – restore funding to schools and TAFE; no $100,000 university degrees;
- Public ownership of public services – proper funding to make them work; and an end to privatisation which has brought job cuts and higher prices, and helped only the private companies involved;
- A Secure Retirement – decent pensions and superannuation;
- A Fair Go For All – support our industries in generating skilled jobs, make multinationals and the wealthy pay fair taxes.
Vintage Reds have organised a roster to help staff the office, and we encourage members to add their names to it.
Photo (Jeremy Kirkwood): VR volunteers helping to run a street stall.
Volunteers: morning and afternoon shifts available: 10 to 1, and 1 to 4. All facilities on site.
There's plenty to do; you could go out and run a street stall, or make phone calls. Or you could sit in the office with your knitting! All can be accommodated.